Migraine Information (Home) > Migraine Treatment
Migraine Headache and Treatment Option
According to one of the estimate 16% of women and 8% of men experience migraine headache at least once in their life. Migraine headache is one of the disorders, which require a complete diagnosis of the problem, and various therapies to treat the disorder. There have been various advances in diagnosis of this neurological disorder.
Migraine headache may cause various problems to people suffering from it, some of the problem has been summarized below.
- Patients suffering from migraine headache may find it difficult to follow the routine activity.
- Patients may also experience occasional headache as well as chronic headache.
- Migraine headaches can also be associated with tension.
- Migraine headaches may cause sleep disorders and if you are suffering from cluster headaches (headache in cycles), your cluster headache might have been developed from sleep disorder.
- If you are suffering from migraine headache, you may not be able to concentrate on your routine job.
- Migraine headache may vary in frequency and duration. Depending upon severity of the disorder the symptoms like nausea and vomiting are associated with migraine and headache.
If migraine headache has substantial impact on the patient, long-term migraine treatment including nonpharmacological technique should be adopted. The aim should have been targeted to
- Reduce the frequency and duration of migraine headache.
- Reduce the severity of migraine headache.
- Reduce the symptoms associated with migraine headache such as nausea and vomiting.
- Reduce and ultimately stop the use of acute pharmacotherapies.
- Reduce the overall medication.
- Reduce the migraine headache related tension and psychological symptoms.
- Manage the migraine headache not only from painkillers and drug therapies, but to improve migraine headache by personal control on symptoms also.
- Improve overall quality of life of patients.
General principles of Management:
- Once diagnosis has been completed, inform the patient the method of treatment and possible side effects of the medicine.
- Patients should be taken into confidence for the severity of problem and expected time frame for the treatment.
- Patients should be encouraged for identifying and avoiding possible migraine headache triggers.
- Symptoms like nausea and vomiting should be continuously monitored.
- Patients should be encouraged for other stress management technique and relaxation technique.
Treatment Option for Migraine Headache:
Migraine headache should be controlled by not only medicine, but other program such as change in life style, avoiding known headache triggers, counseling, stress management and relaxation therapy should be simultaneously focused for achieving better results.
Two types of medicines are used for treating migraine headache. One is prophylactic medication, in which medicines are taken everyday to reduce the severity and frequency and the other is abortive, in which medicine is given only if headache begins.
- Over the painkillers should be avoided. Although these medicines may ease symptoms but continuous use of these medicines may create rebound once these drugs are stopped.
- Prescribed medicines, after proper diagnosis of the medicine, may be focused for reducing inflammation and stimulating receptors for serotonin hormone in brain.
Life Style Change:
The following changes in life style may help in managing migraine headache.
- Identify the triggers for headache migraine and avoid these triggers.
- You should try to take regular sleep even during vacation and weekends.
- You should try to take sleep in quiet and dark room.
- You should start exercise under the supervision of trainer or expert.
- You should learn and follow stress management techniques.
- You should learn and follow relaxation technique.
- Avoid tea, coffee and cola before sleep.
- You should also avoid heavy food before sleep and the food that triggers migraine headache.
- If you are diabetic, you should eat small amount of food more often.
Bookmark This Page:
Send Page to a Friend
VISITOR COMMENTS on "Migraine Treatment":
|1. Help for Tension Migraine Headaches
Tension Headaches: Tension Headache Symptom, Cause of Tension headache, Tension Headache Treatment
Tension headaches are the most common type of headache, however, are not very well understood. In earlier times, tension [...]
|2. Headaches and their Origins
Headaches and their Origins
Headaches have been a medical mystery for centuries. Ancient healers treated them with herbs like Feverfew and Chamomile. Today, a huge amount of research time [...]
|3. Dealing with Chronic Tension Headaches
Dealing with Chronic Tension Headaches
Chronic tension headaches are the most common types of headache. It is believed that approximately 90 per cent of the population has had at [...]
|4. A Headache with No Headache Pain?
A Headache with No Headache Pain?
What would you do if someone told you that you were suffering from a headache when you [...]